Monday, November 14, 2011

Josh Gracin-- Redemption

Josh Gracin’s newest album, Redemption, hit the charts a few days ago on November 8th, and I am really enjoying what I’m hearing!  Gracin co-wrote 16 of the 17 songs on the album (exception is a cover of the John Mayer song, “Edge of Desire”); something of which gains him a lot of respect in my book.  This album is a huge step for him in that his past albums he has only co-written about 3 of the songs.  This is probably due not only to his improving song-writing abilities, but largely to a switch in record labels from Lyric Street Record to Average Joe’s Entertainment.  Gracin also co-produced the album.  Everything about this album sets high expectations of honest and real music, and I believe every word he sings.  He definitely is keeping powerful country ballads alive in Nashville. 

The main problem with this album is that the music on it is almost too broad.  Gracin has country-country, bluegrass-country, and pop-country songs on the same album.  Variety is great, but to an extent.  I think Gracin needs to find what type of country is “him” (where he true voice is; not trying to be somebody else) and really hone in on that. 

One of my favorite attributes of this album is that Gracin brought in a full string orchestra on a couple of the songs.  I love this idea—one he probably got from Brett James’ incredible version of Gracin’s past single, “Brass Bed” (James is the writer of the song).  Gracin has personally stated that “Enough” is the song on the album that is his proudest effort.  A song about regrets a lover has, he has also mentioned that this is the song that hits closest to home.  My favorite part of the song is the instrumental pick up to the first chorus.  With lyrics like this I can see why he’s proud…

“What kind of man takes all they have
And still don’t feel like he has Enough.”


My personal favorite song on the album is “Over Me.”  It is such a moving and brutally honest song that hits on a very vulnerable fear and regret that I believe many people carry.  Showing more signs of a great songwriter with these lyrics…

“I never thought I’d die a little at a time.
Never thought It’d be this hard to see you on the street.
Ohh could it be,
That I’m still trying, and you’re finally over me…”

Listen to full version: Josh Gracin – Over Me

This album shows a lot of promise for Gracin both as a writer and as an artist, so I can’t wait for the next!

No comments:

Post a Comment